PROJECT STAND RESOURCE
S.A.V.E Method (Outreach and Appraisal)
Stop and check your intentions for archiving born-digital records of marginalized identities
- Gaps in the record
- Discoverability (histories/narratives not accessible otherwise)
Stop and make sure to have culturally diverse voices helping inform decision-making process (the process should be inclusive)
Assess your relationship with historically underrepresented community(ies)
- Has there been engagement in the past why or why not?
- If there is evidence of previous attempts was it positive or negative (what can be learned from those attempts).
- What are the challenges moving forward and how can you prepare yourself to address those challenges (baseline awareness is key, go into the community don’t expect community to come to you, assess your ability to invest REAL time).
- Assess who is the custodian of digital record (seek permission!).
View your options
- Should you use a post-custodial model
- Arm student leaders/organizations with information (hold workshops on preservation of digital content, privacy, curation, safety)
- Build relationships with community archives so you can make suggestions for other local repositories
- Educate and archive with care (consider ethical concerns if you do acquire records)
- Educate yourself on how the student groups may want to be represented in the archives, are there any concerns the community has
- Educate yourself/team on language of community–make sure there is access to the archive –(create inclusive tagging and metadata)
STAND Meeting March 8, 2018
STAND Meeting 25, 2018
Clark, M. D. (2015, December 31). To Tweet Our Own Cause: A Mixed-Methods Exploration of the Online Phenomenon “Black Twitter”(Doctoral dissertation, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2014
Anne Gilliand and Sue McKemmish, “The Role of Participatory Archives in Furthering Human Rights:
Reconciliation and Recovery,” Review for Modern Archival Theory and Practice
24 (2014): 78.
Jules, Bergis. (2018, January 5) We’re all Bona Fide [Blog post] Retrieved from https://medium.com/on-archivy/were-all-bona-fide-f502bdaea029
Jules, Bergis. (2017, November 3) , Let the People Lead: Supporting Sustainability vs Dependency Models for Funding Community-Based Archives [Blog post] Retrieved from https://medium.com/on-archivy/let-the-people-lead-supporting-sustainability-vs-dependency-models-for-funding-community-based-82f76d54c483
Sutherland, Tonia. (2018, March) Archiving Trauma. Presented at National Forum on Ethics and Web Archiving. New York, New York.